- Florencia Lebensohn-Chialvo, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of San Diego, San Diego, CA
- Yajaira Johnson-Esparza, PhD, Director of Medication Assisted Treatment, Salud Family Health Centers, Commerce City, CO
- Mayra Bailon, LCSW, Behavioral Health Consultant, PrimeCare Health, Chicago, IL
- Jonathan Muther, PhD, VP of Medical – Behavioral Health Integration, Salud Family Health Centers, Commerce City, CO
Does your clinic serve a large LEP community? Are you involved in training bilingual Spanish behavioral health providers? This presentation will review unique considerations when working with LEP Latinx communities and best practices for training providers to deliver effective care.
- Describe barriers experienced by LEP Latinx patients and their families when attempting to access quality healthcare.
- Define elements of culturally and linguistically competent care for LEP Latinx patients and their families.
- Apply strategies to improve LEP Latinx patient care and support bilingual provider professional development.
- Barksdale, C. L., Kenyon, J., Graves, D. L., & Jacobs, C. G. (2014). Addressing disparities in mental health agencies: Strategies to implement the national CLAS standards in mental health. Psychological Services, 11(4), 369-376. Doi: 10.1037/a0035211
- Bridges, A. J., Andrews, A. R., III, Pastrana, F. A., Villalobos, B. T., Cavell, T. A., & Gomez, D. (2014). Does integrated behavioral health care reduce mental health disparities for Hispanics? Initial findings. Journal of Latina/o Psychology, 2, 37-53.
- Buche, J., Beck, A.J., & Singer, P.M. (2017). Factors Impacting the Development of a Diverse Behavioral Health Workforce. http://www.behavioralhealthworkforce.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FA2P1_Workforce-Diversity_Final-Report.pdf
- Sanchez, K., Chapa, T., Ybarra, R., & Martinez, O. N., Jr. (2014). Eliminating health disparities through culturally and linguistically centered integrated health care: Consensus statements, recommendations, and key strategies from the field. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 25(2), 469-477.
- Softas- Nall, L., Cardona, B., & Barritt, J. (2015). Challenges and diversity issues working with multilingual and bilingual couples and families: Implications for counseling. The Family Journal, 23, 13-17.