- Mindy L. McEntee, PhD, Postdoctoral Scholar, College of Health Solutions, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
- Stephanie Brennhofer, MPH, MS, RDN, Research and Evaluation Specialist, College of Health Solutions, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
- Matthew Martin, PhD, Clinical Assistant Professor, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
- C.R. Macchi, PhD, LMFT, Clinical Associate Professor, College of Health Solutions, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
- Rodger Kessler, PhD
The Practice Integration Profile (PIP) is a 30-item measure of behavioral health integration in primary care. The PIP provides an evaluation of clinical structures and processes thought to be important in integration and has demonstrated reliability and validity. While development of the PIP was informed by the AHRQ’s Lexicon of Collaborative Care, it remains unclear whether clinicians’ perception of integration is congruent with the framework underlying the PIP. This presentation will discuss results from a qualitative study examining providers’ conceptual understanding and interpretation of PIP items.
- Discuss the role of integration measurement in research and clinical settings
- Compare expert and non-research clinician perceptions of integrated care on the PIP
- Discuss strengths and limitations of the PIP to measure integration
- Macchi, C. R., Kessler, R., Auxier, A., Hitt, J. R., Mullin, D., van Eeghen, C., & Littenberg, B. (2016). The Practice Integration Profile: Rationale, development, method, and research. Families, Systems, & Health, 34(4), 334.
- Kessler, R. S., Auxier, A., Hitt, J. R., Macchi, C. R., Mullin, D., van Eeghen, C., & Littenberg, B. (2016). Development and validation of a measure of primary care behavioral health integration. Families, Systems, & Health, 34(4), 342.
- Mullin, D. J., Hargreaves, L., Auxier, A., Brennhofer, S. A., Hitt, J. R., Kessler, R. S., ... & Trembath, F. (2019). Measuring the integration of primary care and behavioral health services. Health services research, 54, 379-389.
- Kessler, R. S., van Eeghen, C., Auxier, A., Macchi, C. R., & Littenberg, B. (2015). Research in progress: measuring behavioral health integration in primary care settings. The Health Psychologist, 1-4.
- Van Eeghen, C. O., Littenberg, B., & Kessler, R. (2018). Chronic care coordination by integrating care through a team-based, population-driven approach: a case study. Translational behavioral medicine, 8(3), 468-480.