- Stephanie Plamondon, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Hotchkiss Brain Institute, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Elaine Cheung, MMT, MTA, JB Music Therapy, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Erin Thrall, Education and Outreach, Instrumental Society of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The myriad benefits of music have been well-documented across the lifespan from birth to end of life care, encompassing positive effects on child development, mood, stress reduction, cognition, expression, pain management, sensorimotor function, social connection and quality of life in a wide variety of healthcare settings. Yet neither music, nor music therapy, an accredited healthcare profession, are currently systematically applied and integrated into multidisciplinary healthcare in Canada. With the dramatic shift to virtual care delivery in a time of isolation and global crisis, live streamed music played by professional musicians and online music therapy delivered by certified music therapists provide a spectrum of feasible, culturally inclusive, acceptable, low cost, effective treatment options to support mental health and wellbeing. Both have low potential for adverse effects, can be incorporated with other creative arts, and can be delivered across hospital and community settings for both patients and caregivers. This presentation will briefly review the neuroscience of music, clearly define music therapy vs. other forms of music and sound for health, and discuss available tools and evidence for the use of music in mental health. We will also share our Calgary virtual care experience including successes, challenges, improvement ideas, and a vision of how music could be widely integrated across the continuum to enhance societal health.
- Define and differentiate "Music therapy" and "Music medicine"
- List 3 benefits of music therapy on mental health goals and 3 music therapy techniques/tools that may be used
- Describe 3 challenges/limitations to virtual or online therapeutic music delivery