- Celina Palen, DO, PGY-1 Resident Physician, Sea Mar Marysville Family Medicine Residency|Jessica Yi, DO PGY-2 Resident Physician, Sea Mar Marysville Family Medicine Residency|Tyler Lawrence, PhD, Behavioral Health Faculty, Sea Mar Marysville Family Medicine Residency
- Alana Holt, BSN, MD, FRCPC, Psychiatrist, Clinical Practice Lead, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada|Kyle Schwartz, BSW, MSW, RSW. Social Worker, Student Wellness Centre, University of Saskatchewan
- Tyler Lawrence, PhD, Behavioral Health Faculty, Sea Mar Marysville Family Medicine Residency, Marysville, WA
1. Resident burnout: What is it and why should we care? An introduction to burnout amongst physician residents and how the pandemic has impacted resident wellness, including literature review. (5 mins) 2. Wellness by residents for residents: A family medicine residency program’s approach to resident wellness and how it has evolved to meet new needs in the face of the pandemic. (10 mins) 3. Next steps: Where do we go from here? Analyzing anonymous resident survey results including impact of program wellness curricula before and during the pandemic. We will describe implications for other wellness programs and future interventions (5 mins) 4. Applying lessons learned: Interactive discussion on how audience members can better adapt their wellness program to pandemic conditions (10 mins)
- Identify challenges the COVID-19 pandemic has posed to resident physician wellness.
- Describe evidence supporting the effectiveness of pandemic-adapted wellness program interventions.
- Discuss strategies to better address resident physician wellness in the current climate as well as moving forward.