- Bill O’Connell, Ed.D., LMHC, Behavioral Health Specialist, Iora Primary Care, Seattle, WA
- Mari Yamamoto, PhD, Psychologist, Behavioral Health Specialist, Iora Health, Seattle, WA
- Laura Weise, MSW, LCSW, Behavioral Health Specialist, Iora Health, Denver, CO
- Taneyea Cooley, DBH, LCSW, Behavioral Health Specialist, Iora Health, Seattle, WA
Behavioral Health Consultants (BHC) are highly qualified to help develop an emerging healthcare workforce. At Iora Health, clinical practices that employ a BHC to engage in ongoing consultation have significantly improved outcomes regarding depression monitoring. In this presentation, a group of BHC’s from Iora Health will share their strategies for optimizing primary prevention through delivery of team based education. Additionally, the presenters will demonstrate how the combined training and education experiences of social work, psychology and counseling help to broaden the capacity of the BHC to meet the complex demands of a primary care practice.
- Understand Iora Health’s model of integrated care and unique contributions of social work, psychology and counseling to primary prevention
- Learn an example of team oriented mental health education
- Discuss strategies to improve population health as the result of continuous follow up with care teams.
- Blount, A. (2003). Integrated Primary Care: Organizing the Evidence. Families, Systems, & Health, 21(2), 121-133. https://doi-org.proxy.seattleu.edu/10.1037/1091-75126.96.36.199
- Davis, T. S., Reno, R., Guada, J., Swenson, S., Peck, A., Saunders-Adams, S., & Haas-Gehres, L. (2019). Social Worker Integrated Care Competencies Scale (SWICCS): Assessing social worker clinical competencies for health care settings. Social Work in Health Care, 58(1), 75-92. https://doi-org.proxy.seattleu.edu/10.1080/00981389.2018.1547346
- Lanese, B. S., Dey, A., Srivastava, P., & Figler, R. (2011). Introducing the Health Coach at a Primary Care Practice: A Pilot Study (Part 2). Hospital Topics, 89(2), 37-42. https://doi-org.proxy.seattleu.edu/10.1080/00185868.2011.572800
- O’Brien, Kyle H., Acri, M.C., Campanelli, P.C., Cerniglia, J.A. & McKay, M. (2018) Retooling the Health Care Workforce in the Era of the Affordable Care Act: An Evaluation of an Advanced Certificate Program in Integrated Primary and Behavioral Health Care,Journal of Teaching in Social Work, 38:5, 522-535, DOI: 10.1080/08841233.2018.1526846
- Thom, D. H., Wolf, J., Gardner, H., DeVore, D., Lin, M., Ma, A., "... Saba, G. (2016). A Qualitative Study of How Health Coaches Support Patients in Making Health-Related Decisions and Behavioral Changes. Annals of Family Medicine, 14(6), 509-516. https: