- Shanda Wells, PsyD
- Beth Lonergan, PsyD, Director of Behavioral Health, University of Wisconsin Health, Madison, WI
- Elizabeth Perry, MD, Associate Professor of Family and Community Medicine, University of Wisconsin Health, Madison, WI
- Kerry McGrath, LPC, Primary Care Behavioral Health Clinician, University of Wisconsin Health, Madison, WI
- Jeffrey Randall, LCSW, Behavioral Health Clinician, UW Health, Madison, WI
- Gretchen Straus, LPC, Primary Care Behavioral Health Clinician, UW Health, Madison, WI
The University of Wisconsin Health system began a journey in 2016 to integrate behavioral health into its adult primary care clinics. Starting with 2 clinics, it will be expanding to all 27 primary care clinics by 2021. This presentation will explore this path, including changes that were made to the model to bring it to its current state. We will also discuss lessons learned about training/onboarding staff and clinicians as well as the importance of a training pipeline.
- Identify examples of creative ways to overcome expansion pitfalls.
- Discuss ways to help build a workforce plan for their own organization.
- Discuss ways to identify and measure desired outcomes.
- Patel V, Belkin GS, Chockalingam A, Cooper J, Saxena S, UnÁ¼tzer J (2013) Grand Challenges: Integrating Mental Health Services into Priority Health Care Platforms. PLoS Med 10(5): e1001448. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001448
- Huang H, Tabb KM, Cerimele JM, Ahmed N, Bhat A, Kester R. Collaborative Care for Women With Depression: A Systematic Review. Psychosomatics. 2017 Jan - Feb;58(1):11-18. doi: 10.1016/j.psym.2016.09.002. Epub 2016 Sep 6.
- Muntingh AD, van der Feltz-Cornelis CM, van Marwijk HW, Spinhoven P, van Balkom AJ. Collaborative care for anxiety disorders in primary care: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Fam Pract. 2016 Jun 2;17:62. doi: 10.1186/s12875-016-0466-3
- Rosenberg T, Mullin D. Building the plane in the air"...but also before and after it takes flight: considerations for training and workforce preparedness in integrated behavioural health. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2019 Mar 12:1-11. doi: 10.1080/09540261.2019.1566117. [Epub ahead of print]