The increased demand for psychiatric care in our communities led the behavioral health department at Valley Health Systems, Inc. to pilot the addition of a psychiatric provider to our integrated health team. This team-based approach to care offers patients the opportunity to receive psychotropic medications much more promptly than a direct psychiatry referral and has shown reduction in patient symptoms within an average of 4 psychotherapy sessions. Initial results after the pilot phase were promising and led to implementation of this model in all 38 locations throughout the Valley Health system. This has allowed team members to provide prompt psychiatric services to members of our community, as well as effectively cutting our waitlist time for traditional psychiatry in half.
- Identify the advantages of integrating a psychiatric provider into an integrated healthcare system to improve access to behavioral health care and patient outcomes
- Describe the role of a behavioral health consultant (BHC) plays in a collaborative psychiatric model of care in providing behavioral health services to patients
- Identify qualities that comprise a good team member (e.g. BHC, PCP, psychiatrist) to implement this model of care
- Raney, L. E. (2015). Integrating primary care and behavioral health: The role of the psychiatrist in the collaborative care model. American Journal of Psychiatry, 172(8), 721-728. https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.1176/appi.ajp.2015.15010017
- Funderburk, J. S., Shepardson, R. L., Acker, J., Possemato, K., Wray, J., Beehler, G, P.,"...Maisto, S. A. (2018). Behavioral medicine interventions for adult primary care settings: A review. Families, Systems, & Health, 36(3), 368-399. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/fsh0000333
- Hunsley, J., Elliott, K., & Therrien, Z. (2014). The efficacy and effectiveness of psychological treatments for mood, anxiety, and related disorders. Canadian Psychology, 55(3), 161-176. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0036933
- Whitebird, R. R., Solberg, L. I., Jaeckels, N. A., Pietruszewski, P. B., Hadzic, S., Unutzer, J., "...Rubenstein, L. V. (2014). Effective implementation of collaborative care for depression: What is needed? American Journal of Managed Care 20(9), 699-707.
- Kroenke, K. & Unutzer, J. (2017). Closing the false divide: Sustainable approaches to integrating mental health services into primary care. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 32(4), 404-410.