- Amelia McClelland, M.Ed., Behavioral Health Consultant
- Peter Asante, MD, Pediatrician
Transgender and gender non-conforming teens face numerous barriers to healthcare even in large suburban areas. These barriers only increase for teens in rural settings. Today we are going to talk about the development and implementation of gender care in a rural pediatric primary care setting. Our team works together to support adolescents who are transgender, gender non-conforming, and/or questioning their gender identities. With our interdisciplinary team of medical providers, behavioral health consultants, social workers, nurses, and medical assistants we have created a pathway that supports patients in many aspects of gender-based care from coming out, to social and medical transitions all while in the primary care setting.
- Understand the process of developing a new pathway of care as part of an integrated team
- Describe potential barriers to implementation of integrated behavioral and medical care of gender diverse adolescents in a pediatric primary care sett
- Describe gender supportive practices to be used in integrated primary care settings