In this presentation, mental health providers will learn how translate clinical skills into the primary care environment, with a focus on using brief evidence-based behavioral interventions to address physical and mental health. This purpose of the is presentation is to assist mental health practitioners in understanding how they fit into an IBH model, best practices for working as a team in a collaborative model, and honing practice skills to a primary care environment. We will review Integrated Behavioral Health models in use, with focus on a fully integrated model at a Federally Qualified Healthcare Center in Baytown and Houston, Texas. We will give an overview of theoretical models of treatment most appropriate for the fast-paced and diverse nature of Primary Care, including: Motivational Interviewing, Brief Solution-Focused Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Crisis Intervention. This will be an interactive session with demonstration of skills, role plays to practice learned material, and feedback opportunities to solidify practice of integrated behavioral health assessment and intervention techniques.
- Learn how behavioral health providers can use systems theory and clinical skills to provide effective care in the Integrated Behavioral Health model.
- Increase understanding of theoretical models of treatment most appropriate for the fast-paced and diverse nature of Primary Care, including: Motivational Interviewing, Brief Solution-Focused Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Crisis Intervention.
- Hone practice skills to perform brief, effective functional assessments and interventions in a Primary Care setting.
- American Academy of Family Physicians (2011). Mental Health Care Services by Family Physicians. Retrieved from: http://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/mental-services.html
- Weisberg, R. & Magidson, J. (2014). Integrating cognitive behavioral therapy into primary care settings. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 21 (3), 247-251.
- National Association of Social Workers (2016). NASW: Standards for Social work Practice in Health Care Settings. Retrieved from: https://www.socialworkers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=fFnsRHX-4HE%3d&portalid=0
- James, R. and Gilliland, B. (2013). Crisis Intervention Strategies (8th Ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
- Miller, R. and Rollnick, S. (2013). Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (3rd Ed.). New York, NY: The Guilford Press.