- Lupita Hernandez, MPA, Director Special Programs, UTRGV, Edinburg, TX
- Evan Garcia, MS, Program Manager, Program Manager School of Medicine, McAllen, TX
- Deepu George, PhD, LMFT, Assistant Professor, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine, McAllen, TX
- Adrian Sandoval, PharmD, Assistant Professor and Chief of the Division of Research for Family Medicine, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine, Edinburg, TX
- Michelle Varon, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine, Edinburg, TX
The University of Texas Health Rio Grande Valley (UT Health RGV), located along the US-Mexico border, completed a yearlong quasi-experimental study on the impact of the Primary Care Behavioral Health (PCBH) model on mental and physical health. As a new and rising regional healthcare provider, we serve a majority Hispanic population characterized by low access to health, concentrated poverty, and low literacy. Overall, the results showed that the intervention group had better outcomes for Depression scores at the end of the study as compared to the control group. The presenters will discuss the unique nature and illness burden of our patients and present qualitative data from focus groups of patients who received same-day PCBH services.
- Learn about the mitigation of challenges from implementing the PCBH model in Family Medicine Residency clinics.
- Learn about the mitigation of challenges from conducting high-level research and evaluating the PCBH model in a predominantly Hispanic, low-income region.
- Outline and discuss the impact of the UTRGV Si Texas Project’s findings and its contribution to gaps in PCBH literature.
- Robinson, P. J., & Reiter, J. T. (2016). Behavioral consultation and primary care: a guide to integrating services. Cham: Springer.
- Corso, Kent A., et al. Integrating behavioral health into the medical home: a rapid implementation guide. Greenbranch Publishing, (2016).
- Mountainview Consulting Group. (2013). Primary Care Behavioral Health Toolkit. Retrieved May 4, 2016, from http://www.pcpci.org/sites/default/files/resources/PCBHImplementationKit_FINAL.pdf
- Martin, M. P. (2017). Integrated Behavioral Health Training for Primary Care Clinicians: Five Lessons Learned from a Negative Study. Families, Systems & Health, 35(3), 352
- Robinson, P., Oyemaja, J., Beachy, B., Goodie, J., Sprague, L., Bell, J., & ... Ward, C. (2018). Creating a primary care workforce: Strategies for leaders, clinicians, and nurses. Journal Of Clinical Psychology In Medical Settings, doi:10.1007/s10880-017-