Recognizing the role of interprofessional education in the development of healthcare professionals that provide the highest value care, the Cleveland VA Medical Center has created and tested an interprofessional curriculum. This submission will discuss practical lessons learned during the evolution of this curriculum which will provide tools for others who are seeking to implement or improve interprofessional training.
- Explain the importance of interprofessional education in the development of healthcare professionals that can provide the highest value care.
- Define potential barriers to effective interprofessional education.
- Describe a model for implementing interprofessional education, and lessons learned in developing an evolving curriculum.
- Rutherford-Hemming, T. & Lioce, L. (2018). State of Interporfessional Education in Nursing: A Systemic Review. Nurse Educator, 43, 9-13.
- Nasmith, l., Wood, V., & Krekoski, C. (2018). Shedding More Light on the State of Interprofessional Education. Academic Medicine, 93, 1750-1751.
- Meleis, A. (2016). Interprofessional Education: A Summary of Reports and Barriers to Recommendations. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 48.
- Cox, M., Cuff, P., Brandt, B., Reeves, S., & Zierler, B. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 30.
- Hall, L.W. & Zierler, B. (2014). Interprofessional Education and Practice Guide No. 1: Developing faculty to effectively facilitate interprofessional education. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 29.