- Jennifer Edgoose, MD, MPH, Professor, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Dept. of Family Medicine and Community Health, Madison, WI
As we grapple with the syndemic of the combined pandemics of systemic racism and COVID-19, many of us feel compelled to join the global call for social justice as we see the racialized disparities of death and despair, both locally and globally. Dr. Edgoose has spent her career advocating for vulnerable and marginalized populations. She will share her story engaging others in promoting and developing inward and outward-facing strategies as her department strives to become an anti-racist, multicultural organization driven to improve health for all people.
“It is crucial for the future of the Black liberation struggle that we remain ever mindful that ours is a shared struggle, that we are each other’s fate.”
— bell hooks
- Understand how diverse perspectives can promote change
- Learn strategies engaging others in anti-racism work
- Consider ongoing challenges to dismantling white supremacy
- Bailey ZD, Feldman JM, Bassett MT. How Structural Racism Works — Racist Policies as a Root Cause of U.S. Racial Health Inequities. N Engl J Med 2021; 384:768-773. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMms2025396.
- Cerdena JP, Plaisime MV, Tsai J. From race-based to race-conscious medicine: How anti-racist uprisings call us to act. Lancet 2020.396 (10257):1125-1128. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7544456/
- Foster K, Johnson C, Carvajal D, Piggott C, Reavis K, Edgoose J, Eliot T, Gold M, Rodriguez J, Washington J. Dear White People. Ann Fam Med. 2021;19(1):66-69. https://www.annfammed.org/content/19/1/66.
- Edgoose J, Brown Speights J, White-Davis T, et al. Teaching About Racism in Medical Education: A Mixed-Method Analysis of a Train-the-Trainer Faculty Development Workshop. Fam Med. 2021;53(1):23-31. https://doi.org/10.22454/FamMed.2021.408300. • Anderson A, Brown Speights JS, Bullock K, Edgoose J, Ferguson W, Fraser K, Guh J, Hampton A, Henderson D, Lankton R, Martinez-Bianchi V, Ring J, Roberson K, Rodgers D, Saba GW, Saint-Hilaire L, Svetaz V, White-Dave T, Wu D. Toolkit for teaching about racism in the context of persistent health and healthcare disparities. STFM Resource Library. https://connect.stfm.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=cf40991e-96e9-3e15-ef15-7be20cb04dc1&forceDialog=0.
- The Health Equity Curricular Toolkit (J. Edgoose, lead editor): Accessible at: American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) https://www.aafp.org/family-physician/patient-care/the-everyone-project/health-equity-tools.html • Edgoose J, Shah M, Murph B. Racism, Sexism, and Unconscious Bias. In: Edgoose J. (ed) Health Equity Curricular Toolkit. Parkway Leawood, KS: Health Equity Team for Family Medicine for America’s Health; 2018, https://www.aafp.org/dam/AAFP/documents/patient_care/everyone_project/health-equity-toolkit/hops19-vuln-pop-racism.pdf • Edgoose J. Application of the Equity and Empowerment Lens for Facilitators and Learners. (video) In Edgoose J. (ed) Health Equity Curricular Toolkit. Parkway Leawood, KS: Health Equity Team for Family Medicine for America’s Health; 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsl6lQjXnU&feature=youtu.be