- Minerva Medrano de Ramirez, MD, Family Medicine Faculty, Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency Program, Las Cruces, NM
- Daubney Boland, PhD, Licensed Psychologist, Behavioral Science Faculty, Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency Program, Las Cruces, NM
- Stephanie Benson, MD, Assistant Program Director, Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency Program, Las Cruces, NM
This presentation will review barriers to the implementation of a wellness curriculum in a family medicine residency program. It will include components of our curriculum and ways it has been adapted to provide meaningful support to family medicine residents while also enhancing experiences of healthcare staff. We will also discuss tools used for assessing the curriculum’s effectiveness. The presenters will review with elicit feedback and reflections from the audience regarding strategies for promoting wellness in residency programs.
- Identify at least two risks to physician burn-out and two barriers to wellness
- Identify tools to measure or assess for burnout
- List specific strategies to promote wellness
- Brennan J, McGrady A. Designing and implementing a resiliency program for family medicine residents. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2015;50(1):104-14. doi: 10.1177/0091217415592369. Epub 2015 Jun 30
- Bodenheimer T, Sinsky C. From the Triple to Quadruple Aim: Care of the Patient Requires Care of the Provider. Annals of Family Medicine. 2014;12(6):573-576
- Sinsky CA, Willard-Grace R, Schutzbank AM, Sinsky TA, Margolius D, Bodenheimer T. In search of joy in practice: a report of 23 high-functioning primary care practices. Ann Fam Med. 2013;11(3): 272-278
- De Marchis, E., Knox, M., Hessler, D., Willard-Grace, R., Olayiwola, N., Peterson, L., Grumbach, K., Gottlieb, L. (2019). Physician burnout and higher clinic capacity to address patients’ social needs. J Am Board Fam Med 2019; 32:69 -78. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2019.01.180104
- Mata DA, Ramos MA, Bansal N, Khan R, Guille C, Di Angelantonio E, Sen S. Prevalence of Depression and Depressive Symptoms Among Resident Physicians: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2015 Dec 8; 314 (22):2373-83.