In 2014, the state of Colorado was awarded a $65 million State Innovation Model (SIM) grant to support integration of physical and behavioral health care and to test alternative payment models. Our team has been closely involved with the strategic direction for and evaluation of the program over the past three years. Milliman has co-chaired the Evaluation workgroup of SIM and has provided extensive analytical support since the start of the program, including credibility analysis, cost and utilization reporting, return on investment reporting, and depression predictive modeling. We will discuss our experience working with the Colorado All Payer Claims Database, including types of contributors, timing of rapid reporting cycles, and unique challenges. We’ll also discuss results we’ve seen within the program and the state’s perspective on sustainability beyond the program’s end.
- Explain cost savings and return on investment of the Colorado State Innovation Model
- Identify evaluation and analysis techniques of behavioral healthcare integration programs
- Determine the value opportunity of medical-behavioral integration
- Melek, S., Norris, D., et al. (January 2018). Potential Economic Impact of Integrated Medical-Behavioral Healthcare: Updated Projections for 2017. Milliman Research Report. http://www.milliman.com/uploadedFiles/insight/2018/Potential-Economic-Impact-Integrated-Healthcare.pdf.
- Reiss-Brennan, B., Brunisholz, K.D., Dredge, C. et al. (August 2016). Association of Integrated Team-Based Care With Health Care Quality, Utilization, and Cost. JAMA. 2016;316(8):826-834. http://doi:10.1001/jama.2016.11232.
- Grochtdreis, T., Brettschneider, C., Wegener, A. et al. (May 2015). Cost-Effectiveness of Collaborative Care for the Treatment of Depressive Disorders in Primary Care: A Systematic Review. PLOS One. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4437997/
- Ross, K.M., Klein, B., Ferro, K. et al. (March 2019). The Cost Effectiveness of Embedding a Behavioral Health Clinician into an Existing Primary Care Practice to Facilitate the Integration of Care: A Prospective, Case-Control Program Evaluation. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29713935
- Segal, L., Biasi, A., Mueller, J. et al. (November 2017). Pain in the Nation: The Drug, Alcohol, and Suicide Crises and the Need for a National Resilience Strategy. Trust for America’s Health and Well Being Trust. http://www.paininthenation.org/assets/p