- Jeremy Vogt, PhD, Behavioral Health Consultant, Denver Health, Denver, CO
- Jennifer Grote, PhD, Director, Integrated Behavioral Health, Denver Health, Denver, CO
- Elizabeth Lowdermilk, MD, Associate Director of Services, Dept of Psychiatry, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, CO
- Leigh Kunkle, MA, Psychology Resident, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, CO
As rates of integration continue to expand nationally, increasing numbers of professionals from the specialty mental health workforce are transitioning into primary care and other medical settings for the first time. In order to provide and maintain high quality, robust, and fully integrated behavioral health services, it is critical that medical systems and administrators develop and support comprehensive recruitment, onboarding, and continuous training processes for all behavioral health professionals entering integrated care settings. This workshop will provide a useful guide for integrated care directors, supervisors, and administrators involved in the selection and development of both medical and non-medical behavioral health providers at various levels of training in the healthcare setting.
- Identify ideal candidates capable of functioning at a high level in integrated care settings.
- Describe beneficial components of onboarding and areas of training in both medical and non-medical behavioral health providers at various levels of training.
- Describe how to market and create buy-in of new behavioral health professionals into existing medical clinics and systems.
- Cowley, D., et al. Teaching Psychiatry Residents to Work at the Interface of Mental Health and Primary care. Academic Psychiatry. 2014; 38:398-404.
- Raney, L.E. Integrated Care Working at the Interface of Primary Care and Behavioral Health. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association; 2015.
- Robinson, P. J. & Reiter, J. T. (2015). Behavioral Consultation and Primary Care: A Guide to Integrating Services, 2nd Edition. NY: Springer.
- Hoge, M.A., Morris, J.A., Laraia, M., Pomerantz, A., & Farley, T. (2014). Core Competencies for Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care. Washington, DC: SAMHSA - HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions.
- Cohen, D.J., Davis, M.M., Hall, J.D., Gilchrist, E.C., Miller, B.F. A Guidebook of Professional Practices for Behavioral Health and Primary Care Integration: Observations From Exemplary Sites. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Mar