- Emily Selby-Nelson, PsyD, Director of Behavioral Health, Cabin Creek Health Systems, Sissonville, WV
- Kate Hossfeld, PsyD, Behavioral Health Provider, Cabin Creek Health Systems, Charleston, WV
- Jessica McColley, DO, Cabin Creek Health Systems, Charleston, WV
- Amber Crist, MS, Chief Operating Officer, Cabin Creek Health Systems, Charleston, WV
- Hillary Homburg, DDS, Dental Director, Cabin Creek Health Systems, Charleston, WV
This presentation will share the success story of a Federally Qualified Health Center’s efforts to meet the needs of their underserved community through inter-professional collaboration and training across primary care, behavioral health, dentistry, pharmacy, and school-based services. Strategies for inter-professional teamwork and innovation will be highlighted and recommendations for execution of collaboration will be shared. The importance of workforce development, including recruitment of well-fit staff and providers, intensive and creative support throughout innovations in service development, staff wellness and retention efforts, and the education and training of the next generation of staff and providers will be stressed and modeled through practical examples and implementation tips.
- Summarize typical barriers to healthcare in underserved settings.
- Discuss effective strategies for integrating various healthcare services into primary care and enhance inter-professional collaboration across services.
- Identify unique ways that interprofessional healthcare providers and administrators can collaborate to create the ideal conditions necessary to offer quality and sustainable whole-patient care.
- Chase, S. M., Crabtree, B. F., Stewart, E. E., Nutting, P. A., Miller, W. L., Stange, K. C., & JaÁ©n, C. R. (2015). Coaching strategies for enhancing practice transformation. Family Practice, 32(1), 75-81.
- Selby-Nelson, E. M., Bradley, J., Hoover-Thompson, A., & Schiefer, R. (2018). Primary Care Integration in Rural Areas: A Community-Focused Approach. Families, Systems, and Health, 36, 528-534.
- Price, O. A. (2016). School-centered approaches to improve community health: lessons from school-based health centers. Economic Studies at Brookings, 5, 1-17.
- Jorgenson, D., Dalton, D., Farrell, B., Tsuyuki, R. T., & Dolovich, L. (2013, November). Guidelines for pharmacists integrating into primary care teams. Retrieved March 15, 2019, from http://www/ncbi.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3819955/
- Harnagea, H., Couturier, Y., Shrivastava, R., Girard, F., Lamothe, L., Bedos, C. P., & Emami, E. (2017). Barriers and facilitators in the integration of oral health into primary care: a coping review. BMJ Open, 7.