Team-based learning (TBL) as an instructional approach is increasingly recognized to improve student engagement, value of teamwork, and performance on standardized assessments when compared to traditional lecture-based instruction. The aim of this study is to compare two educational modalities (TBL and lecture-based approach) on knowledge-based outcome and integrated behavioral health student perceptions. TBL as part of the learning environment facilitated significant improvements in self-perception scores but not knowledge scores. A TBL approach should be considered an additional, interactive teaching strategy with didactic teaching, especially for health professions students who will work on medical teams in the future to enhance student engagement and quality of learning.
- Define Team-Based Learning (TBL).
- Understand the components of the TBL approach versus didactic teaching
- Understand how TBL can be embedded into a primary care behavioral health curriculum for graduate behavioral health students
- Alizadeh, M., Mirzazadeh, A., Parmelee, D., Peyton, E., Janani, L., Hassanzadeh, G., & Nedjat, S. (2017). Uncover it, students would learn leadership from team-based learning (TBL): The effect of guided reflection and feedback. Medical Teacher, 39(4), 395-401. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2017.1293237
- Cevic, A., Elzubeir, M., Abu-Zidan, F., Shaban, S. (2019). Team-based learning improves knowledge and retention in an emergency medicine clerkship. International Journal of Emergency Medicine, doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-019-0222-2
- Gullo, C., Ha, T., & Cook, S. (2015). Twelve tips for facilitating team-based learning. Medical Teacher, 37, 819-824. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2014.1001729
- Hassan, S., Ibrahim, M., & Hassan, N. (2018). The structural framework, implementation strategies and students’ perception of team-based learning in undergraduate medical education of a medical school in Malaysia. Education in Medicine Journal, 10(1):55-68. https:// doi.org/10.21315/eimj2018.10.1.7
- Tahira, Q., Loghi, S., & Abaidullah, S. (2018). Comparison of lecture-based and modified team-based learning in achieving cognitive skills in medical education. Annals of King Edward Medical University, 24(1).