Until mid 2018 our Central Oregon community had few resources for trans healthcare and most members of the trans community had to drive three hours over a mountain pass to access even basic primary care. In the last year medical providers across organizations, local advocates, regional experts, and our local CCO have worked to provide trainings, enhance networking, improve and utilize EHRs, and shift policy and practice within our organizations. We are working up to a model whereby each primary clinic in our three county area can address medical, mental health assessment, and behavioral health support needs specific to trans patients. Simultaneously, as a hospital system we are working to meet Healthcare Equality Index standards and some of our policy changes have been featured in the national news. In our presentation we will present a model for increasing capacity in any area through community collaboration, provider training, team based care, and engaging senior leaders.
- Familiarity with national data around LGBTQ healthcare avoidance and discrimination and additional familiarity with healthcare needs and barriers for transgender patients
- Identify who MUST be at the table to embark on an LGBTQ health improvement project
- Discuss the specific steps one community undertook to significantly improve access to trans healthcare within one year. Discuss data collection to measure improvement and increased access.
- Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People; The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- The National LGBT Health education Center; Fenway Institute; Multiple resources
- Supporting and Caring for Transgender Children; September 2016; Statement by AAP, HRC Foundation; and American Colleage of Osteopathic pediatricians
- Guidelines for the Primary and gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and gender Nonbinary People; Center of Excellence for Transgender Health; 2nd Edition, June 2016
- Healthcare Equality Index (HEI) guidelines and tools